Virtual Tours

A growing collection of virtual tours of various sites and locations found throughout Mauritius.

The Western Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Mauritius and contains graves, tombs and memorials from the first recorded burial of Jean-Pascal Dujonc de Boisquenay who died on February 24, 1774.  Within the cemetery walls you will find all manner of graves from the large mausoleums to the unmarked graves.  A number of these graves are also scheduled monuments and many tombstones still have stories to tell about the deceased.  Whilst many of the deceased were important figures within the history of Mauritius, you will also find memorials to the families of military personnel who died in Mauritius.  There are many sad tales to be found within.

The First Dutch Landing Monument was raised and unveiled by the Societe de L’Histoire de L’Ile Maurice in 1948 to remember the landing of the first Dutch visitors to the island.  Whilst it is not known exactly where they touched land, it would have been somewhere in the vicinity.

The plaque reads:
Hereabouts on the 20th September 1598, Dutch Sailors Under Wijbrandt Van Warwijck first landed and named this island MAURITIUS.

A number of religious buildings have been constructed on the site currently occupied by the St Louis Cathedral.  The first was constructed by Joseph-François Charpentier de Cossigny between 1752 and 1756 but the land was not stable and this building did not last long.  Rebuilt, a subsequent church collapsed on the 9th April 1773 due to a cyclone.  The next attempt in 1782 also collapsed shortly afterwards band was restored under the first British Governor, Sir Robert Farquhar in 1814.  The same structural problems reappeared in 1819 with a further rebuilding between 1930 and 1933 under Bishop Jacques Leen.  The Cathedral was last renovated in 2007.

There is a fountain in the shape of an obelisk which dates from 1788 in the Cathedral Square.

Fort Adelaide or The Citadel is an imposing fortification constructed from cut basalt stones and is located on top of the small mountain within Port Louis.  Named after the wife of King William IV, the construction of this fortification, which was constructed to permit a reduction in the number of troops required to defend the island from external attack or internal commotion, was approved on the 3rd December 1832.

The foundation stones were laid by His Excellency Sir William Nicolay on the 8th December 1834 with the approved budget for the construction of this defence standing at £.31,998 7s. 7d.

On the 4th November 1840, Major Savage, the new Commanding Royal Engineer, reported the completion of the building according to the original plans however, this refers to the physical construction of the building and not the completion of the fort as a fort without ordnance is just a building albeit a very strong building.  It could therefore be argued that Fort Adelaide was not completed until 1851 when the last of the guns were mounted.

Curepipe is the second largest town in Mauritius and grew rapidly when wealthy families moved out of Port Louis because of cholera and malaria.  The climate is much cooler (and wetter) because of its location on the central plateau.

WWII Generator Building, Pointe du Diable.  Built within the site of the earlier French battery in the same location, this building was a part of the defences constructed during the Second World War designed to protect the natural harbour of Grand Port.  This building housed the generators which powered the numerous carbon arc searchlights and likely provided the power for the guns and ancillary components.

The Naval Bunkering Infrastructure at Bois des Amourettes consisted of a number of heavy fuel oil tanks and infrastructure which would enable ships to be refuelled within the relative safety of the natural harbour at Grand Port.  There is no evidence to support their use in this role and they are currently in a sad and decrepit state with the storage tanks collapsing.

Only the tower and some walls remain from the days when this site was producing gunpowder, not just for the needs of the island but also to replenish the many visiting armed ships.  What you see here is just a small part of the original site with more images of the larger site available here and here.  The other buildings you see in this tour were constructed as an asylum or orphanage under the care of Reverend P. Ansorgé, a Missionary of the Church Mission Society and Mrs. Ansorgé.  Reverend P. Ansorgé was the legal protector of orphan and vagrant Indian children.

This jetty was constructed during the Second World War, the length enabled this to be used as a deep-water dock for large vessels.  This would also have been used to resupply the nearby Île de la Passe (Pass Island) which was a well defended island and a part of the overall Grand Port defences.  A heavy oil bunkering facility was constructed nearby but never used.

One of many disused lime kilns found throughout Mauritius.  Lime was and still is used in the sugar industry and in the manufacture of lime mortar, an early building material.